Have you just gotten the installation failed directory is not empty message when trying to install WordPress in cPanel?
For me it usually reads, “Installation directory is not empty, please install to a new location.”
If you’re seeing this, here’s what to do:
The quick 3-minute video above explains the process. But if you can’t watch right now, here’s what you need to do:
- From your cPanel or Hosting Portal, visit File Manager
- Find the root (home) folder of the domain name you’re working with
- Check the directory path in the upper right to make sure you’re in the right place
- Click Select All
- Click Delete (and skip the trash)
- The directory for your domain name at this particular host is now empty.
- Return to Quick Install and you should now be able to successfully install WordPress, as the directory is now empty.
That’s all. You now know the process to empty a directory in file manager. Just double check each time that you are in the right folder within the directory.
Please let us know any issues or questions in the comments!