Why did I start my about page with this quote? Just because. It’s one of my favorites.
Hey, I’m Greg. Welcome to Dear Blogger. Blogging and I met back in September 2010 in a “WordPress for Dummies” book at a small cafe in New York City. Reading through, I was deeply intrigued. So deeply in fact, that I spilt my coffee all over the darn thing. Feeling guilty, I bought the book for $20. Fate? Perhaps.
- I read the whole train ride home. That night, I proceeded to start up my first blog, a college Wikipedia called Honest College. It was more fun than anything I had tried before.
- After 6 months of blogging, my work was featured in the Huffington Post alongside BroBible (here’s the feature).
- Two weeks later, I was offered gigs writing for Sony and Adobe’s new product divisions. My apartment filled quickly with new software, random stuff like T-shirts, even a new laptop to review.
- After 1 year of blogging, I was recruited by the City of New York to manage social media on several websites used by millions of small businesses.
Still doing that, lots o’ work.As of July 28th, 2014 I have left this work to devote more time to blogging.
- At the 1.5 year mark, I was flown to the Adobe HQ in San Fran to witness creation of CS 6. (thank you Ivy!)
This was my first paid trip and it sort of convinced me I could actually do this blogging thing for a living.
- At the 26 month mark (that’s now) I’m travelling the globe with my “Mac in my knap-sack”. I frequently get gigs on blogs like ProBlogger, Hongkiat (big in Malaysia) and my new favorite, PickTheBrain. I’ve come to love blogging more and more each day. Most often I’m based in NYC.
Some say I’m a quick learner. I’d say I’m a quick learner only when I find something that I love. My grades in university would suggest that!
What are people saying about Dear Blogger?
The world erupted in celebration the moment we launched. No. But a lot of blogging questions did come in and we answered most of them. Here is how some folks on Twitter have responded to the help the community and I provide:
@gregnarayan all we need to know to start a blog superb
— Dinesh Puppala (@i_dino) February 25, 2013
@gregnarayan checked your blog, love the way write. you make a boring subject become an exciting story.
— Melissa Quek (@melissaqsy) April 4, 2013
@gregnarayan Awesome bio. Awesome blog. Awesome writing style! I like you.
— Tarryn Scales (@TarrynScales) March 6, 2013
@gregnarayan great resource for a fairly new blogger like myself! Thanks!
— Danielle Chan (@danchan_mktg) February 20, 2013
@gregnarayan You are unbelievable. Wow 150 tweets/coffee. Teach me how Master
— Nancy Avila (@NAvila408) March 6, 2013
No, I didn’t pay these folks to say nice things. I just delivered them weekly blogging answers, and daily answers in the comments!
So why did I create Dear Blogger?
Because I truly like helping people. That little moment when I see I’ve shared knowledge with a reader, and it has actually helped their efforts, makes all the work associated with blogging worth it.
People forget that good blogging is about adding value to the reader’s life. It’s not about getting more fans, traffic, and links to your blog. That’s all part of the process but it’s become such a focus that it clouds what you as a blogger can offer people.
I want to bring the focus back to real issues in blogging. I used to write on most failed college courses, but there was a lot more demand for this.
Who should read this blog?
This blog is certainly geared towards new, up and coming bloggers. Sometimes my “expert” readers even complain that it’s too basic!
I tell them to just look deeper. Within the comments I’m frequently discussing hot blogging topics with readers and finding solutions found in very few other places around the web.
So, dig around
Have you heard of Dear Blogger?
No? Then check out my welcome to Dear Blogger post. Dear Blogger is all about answering blogging questions quickly, painlessly, and without the fluffy jargon the web is so full of these days. Ask me a question on email (email@example.com), Twitter, or Google+.
You can even ask how my day is going
That’s about it, you should probably hop onto an entry of mine now because that’s where the magic really takes place!
Hope you feel at home here at Dear Blogger. I’m always around to help.
p.s. If you think this concept is neat, please click on the “LIKE” button below! Thanks!